Written by Katie W.
Summer has officially arrived with the release of blockbuster hit, “Top Gun Maverick!” For those of you who enjoy watching premiers at home or like to pack your pockets full of secret cinema snacks, (we won’t tell) Healthy Treasures has the perfect healthy movie theater concessions alternatives for you this summer!
Movie theater concessions like candy, sodas, and readymade heated foods are filled to the brim with sugar, preservatives, and can be heavily processed. According to Cinemark’s Nutrition Information, a simple order of: one medium popcorn, a medium fountain Coca-Cola, and a bag of Sour Patch Kids, has the sugar content of over 130 grams! Subtract the candy and you’re still left with over 100 grams of sugar alone, just from the soda. Not to mention all the artificial flavors, dyes, and other ingredients found in typical candy like Sour Patch Kids.
So, to stay healthy and having fun this summer, try some of our Healthy Treasures’ recommendations for healthier cinema snacks.
- Organic popcorn from Braggadocio, topped with Nutrional Yeast or Vegan Butter.
- Nuts by the pound, such as cashews or roasted almonds. These are awesome for grab and go snacks, that will pack some protein into your day. We even have organic chocolate covered nuts, if you’re craving something sweet!
- Organic, gluten free, and vegan gummies from Yum Earth. (A staff favorite!) These are in snack size pouches, perfect for kids or on the go car snacks.
- Got a sweet tooth? Try one of our no sugar added chocolate bars. (A staff favorite is the salted caramel.)
- A popular trend in concessions is Flaming Hot Cheetos popcorn. Avoid the stomachache from fake ingredients and dyes and try Vegan Rob’s Dragon Puffs! These are awesome mixed with popcorn! Gluten Free, Non GMO, Vegan, and Kosher.
- Zevia is a great alternative to your typical fountain served sugary sodas. They are zero sugar and zero calories. We have a wide variety to choose from, including ginger ale, root beer, cherry cola & more.
These suggestions are just our starting point for fun summer movie going snacks! We offer a huge variety of snacks and healthy foods in our store. Stop by or call in to see everything we have.
PS- If you’re looking for fun, family things to do this summer, keep an eye out for Newton Fall’s Light Night in the Falls events, happening the first Friday of each month. More information on our Facebook or Events page.